It can be difficult to get a workout in if you don’t have access to a full gym, a variety in equipment or exercise machines! You may have to make modifications, use a lighter weight or do things differently than you normally would if you don’t have the access you’re used to at home. BUT – that doesn’t mean you can’t still get a good workout in, you just have to make it work with what you got! 😉
We traveled to New York for a week in December (another blog post to come about that trip! :)). We were very much go-go-go the first 3 days so we didn’t do any lifting. The last half of our trip however, we settled down a little and were able to go to our hotel gym. It had 4 treadmills and stationary bikes and ONE pulley machine. That’s it. No dumbbells, no plates, no resistance bands and no barbells. I was super challenged by this because, like you – I’m used to my own routine, my own equipment, using what I need when I need it. So, looking at that one machine and trying to figure out a upper/lower body workout put my brain on work mode hehe Here’s my travel workout I did while we were there. It may be different, it may be modified, but you can still get in a solid workout with limited equipment! 🙂
Straight Arm Lat Pulldown (targets the back and lats)
Upright Row (targets traps & shoulders)
Romanian Deadlifts sing the Cable Machine (targets hamstrings and glutes)
Single Arm Rear Delt Fly (targets rear delts)
Single Arm Cable Row (targets lats/back)
Single Arm Cable Lateral Raise (targets delts)
Some travel tips for exercise:
- I may be over the top in saying this, but whenever I’m traveling or going on vacation, I ALWAYS look for a hotel to stay in that has a gym (which is most nowadays).
- Pack a pair of resistance bands, even if your hotel does have a gym. You never know 1) how busy the gym will be, what equipment will be available at the time, how many stations there are, etc.
- If for whatever reason, you can’t find a hotel with a gym, use those for your workouts (another blog post coming on that soon!)
- if you’re driving and not flying, pack a pair of dumbbells
Travel/Airport friendly fitness gear:
- jump rope
- resistance bands (tube bands and loop bands), with door anchor and handles
- Hip circle or sling shot
I have a direct partnership with ProSourceFit, click here to shop all things fitness, like resistance bands, foam rollers, yoga mats, dumbbells and more at great price!